Thursday, August 4, 2011

The year of the rabbit- 20^^

This last entry I want to get some other coincidences off my chest that've occurred to me this year and the past two years or so. I'll start with the middle of 2009 in setting up a sort of trend I've experienced in the time before I even started to pay attention to the zodiac. I like to draw and write poetry in my spare time. I try to let my subconscious go and just see how much I can free it up when drawing or writing. I rarely draw animals and the only animal I think I drew in mid 2009 was an ox, 09' was the year of the ox. This occurred to me when looking back through my stack when I saw that I had drawn a rabbit picture in mid 2010, the year of the tiger, the year before the rabbit. In my poetry workshop in the fall of 09 I had written a poem that sort of referenced Hobbes the tiger from Calvin and Hobbes and again it was the only poem I remember writing that year with any sort of animal in it. My interest in the zodiac surfaced around late summer of 2010 and all of these things occurred before I started to follow it. So now that I know about the zodiac It's kind of weird continuing my poetry and drawing. It's almost like I've caught up with my subconscious mind.
But as life goes on in the year of the rabbit this has been the first full year I've had an opportunity to be aware of the zodiac in. This year lots of events have occurred to me to coincide in a really bazaar and ominous way with the year of the rabbit. The motto of the rabbit is "I retreat" it's tendencies are to be in close circles with it's friends and this tendency of the person is also the tendency of the year. I had started a very crazy job with AB Couriers at the end of the tiger year. I was trapped in having to deliver medical supplies during thunder-snow and had gotten in 2 accidents during the 3 week span of this job. Ultimately and oddly I decided to returned to my job as a manager at the custard store as the year of the tiger turned to the rabbit. Another thing occurred at the turn of the year as well as I was signing up for classes last winter for the spring. While signing up I was not at all thinking about the year of the rabbit. My class on British Romantic era literature and Shakespeare started out in the year of the Tiger. My Shakespeare class began with Titus Andronicus and Coriolanus. These plays are both bloodthirsty. Tigers are associated with protective mothering as well and both plays featured bloodthirsty mothers. They just bled ferocious Greek tigerdom to me, unmistakable and totally unforeseeable. The year of the Rabbit didn't kick in until February I believe when in my Shakespeare class we started reading very pastoral plays like King Cymbeline and Winter's Tale while reading Tess of the D'Urbervilles and Adam Bede in my British lit class. The pastoralness was almost overwhelming and there were so many connections between the characters and situations of what we were reading in both classes the point where I wondered if my professors planned their classes in tandem. It was strange the theme of milk maids in both of these stories as I was working at a Frozen custard store while reading them, custard also includes eggs a very eastery pastoral type thing. As the Shakespeare class moved further into spring the plays moved from more tragedy to tragicomedies and my final two works to read in both the English Lit class and Shakespeare were Lord Jim and the Tempest. Both of these plays were out of place with the previous pastoral themes. The theme of the sea and constructing order in the chaos of the wilderness was prevalent in both pieces.
The theme of loss of innocence and judgment and justice was prevalent in the plays and literature we were reading too. Trials of more or less innocent or naive people had occurred in Adam Bede, Lord Jim, A winter's tale, Tess of the D'Urbervilles, Strange enough this year I was for the first time called to do jury duty. The trial was a woman who was renting rooms to about 25 illegal aliens at one point to include their children in a sort of McMansion. This large house was amongst a neighborhood of small single story homes that she couldn't have paid the mortgage for without the rent money from the illegal residents. Lots of people and children in a big house, sounds kind of rabbity. Earlier last year when I caught on to this zodiac cycle I had written something that tried to capture what I thought would be the spirit of the rabbit year. It was about a young man in his late twenties who moved into a very nice somewhat large house alone. He had no children and his sisters came over with their children after they had a spat with their husbands yet this man was so lonely that it was impossible for him to see beyond himself and the future he lost with potentially his own family. I couldn't help but think of that story during and after the trial. The trail of the illegal aliens was almost like the antithesis to my story.
I could go on with more coincidences from last year but I just feel that there is a definite cycle that's occurring and wanted to publicize it somehow. Trust me I'm not consciously striving to be a psychopath and bend my life to the zodiac, all of these things I've noticed after the fact they've happened to me. What's next always interests me and 2012 the year of the water dragon and all the sort of dragon references and associations intrigue me. This and last year's elements were metal and next starts a two year water cycle and the water dragon sounds ominous to me and not unlike an animal and element that perhaps the Chinese and the Mayans would choose to usher in the end of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment